Thursday, May 24, 2007

Karma with the help of a radio

Neighbors can be a great thing, they really can. We have wonderful neighbors to the back of us that are almost like family to me. I babysit for their little toddler, they pay me well, and I love spending time there.

On the other hand, there are our neighbors to the left of us. I don't even know their names, actually; I just know them as loud and annoying. They seemed alright when they moved in, just occasional "hi" worthy sort of people.

Then the hot tub parties began. Our neighbors invited friends who brought radios and beer to spend the night outside. There was always loud music and loud voices and I could usually make out snippets of conversation or a song on the radio, both sometimes innapropriate.

It was 1 AM on a Friday night last December that I finally lost it. I was having a sleepover with my friend and couldn't fall asleep because of the loud music and voices. So I talked to my mom, I talked to my dad, and then came to the conclusion that they couldn't do anything about it. Deciding to take matters into my own hands, I stormed back up to my room, opened the window, and with the loudest voice I could muster, yelled "SHUT! UP!". They stopped talking after that, and I was finally able to go to sleep.

They haven't said a word to us since.

Fast forward to the summertime and the man over there has decided he likes to do his business outside. And believe me, he's as loud as he was with his friends in those hot tub parties. So my mom and I wanted to have a little fun after we were sick of hearing him. We grabbed our friend the radio and his companion the volume dial tagged along. Up and up and up the sound went, until we could no longer hear our neighbor. My mother and I laughed and kept the radio on for the rest of the night.

Sometimes, it doesn't hurt to help karma along a little.

No comments: